Monday, April 25, 2022

GF Goodness TryaBox

 I am not gluten-free, but I have a sister who was diagnosed with celiac disease a few years ago, and has had to make a lot of drastic changes to her diet ever since. This has made me hyper-aware of just how many things can actually contain gluten (so many you wouldn't expect!) and how careful people with dietary restrictions have to be. So I am grateful for people and companies who have made it their mission to help those with allergies be able to eat more freely and not have to give up some of their favorite foods.


With that in mind, I was excited to hear about this tryabox opportunity from Tryazon, to see how this brands products hold up. Taste Republic sent me coupons to pick up a couple varieties that my family could try out for free, as well as a cool wooden utensil - and what kitchen doesn't need more of those? They also sent a recipe-card for a pesto dish and we were initially going to do that before changing at the last minute to something the kids would be more likely to eat. I was also glad to see that despite being fresh pasta, these didn't need to be used within 2-3 days like I had first read you need to do with homemade pasta.


I decided to go with the 4-cheese tortelloni, and spinach & cheese ravioli varieties, mainly because they were different types of pasta I'd never actually had before and thought it would be fun to branch out. I will say, I was nervous to serve this to my family! I have had another brand of gluten-free pasta before and while it wasn't awful, you could definitely tell it was different. So I was sure there were going to be complaints about it being weird. And yes, the spinach kind was only eaten by adults, and I don't blame the kids because I definitely wouldn't have eaten green pasta when I was younger! But actually it was just fine. We served them with a homemade alfredo sauce and I thought it was great. I could tell there was a slight difference in the flavor, especially the ravioli, but it honestly wasn't bad at all. The texture was really good to eat, too. We had a couple of my husband's brothers eating with us as well and I don't think they even noticed anything about it!


The one downside I did notice was that they did seem to stick together a bit more (especially the ravioli) but perhaps that was just user error or I needed an even bigger pot or something. Not a major issue, just that when it came to serving they were clumped and had to be pulled apart - and that led to them breaking. Then when I went to cleanup afterwards I did find that there was significantly more dough stuck to the pot and that it was trickier to scrub off than when I cook normal pasta. I'm sure that's just the nature of the product and the ingredients that have to be used.


Overall I was very pleased with this pasta. I thought it looked and tasted very comparable to normal pasta, and I would definitely feel okay serving this to my sister. A win for the GF community!



Fun, flavorful varieties to choose from, and a cool spork!


We made alfredo sauce & chicken cordon bleu! Paired nicely.

#tasterepublic #glutenfree #glutenfreepasta #quickdinner #easyhealthymeals #freshpasta #tryazon






No comments:

Post a Comment