Saturday, March 24, 2012

The Hunger Games

Yep, I'm one of those people, and I'm going to write a post about it. I read the series in one week (last Christmas?? 2010?? Seems right..) over the break and absolutely loved it! And when I heard they were making a movie? - BEST DAY EVER!! Now I should have been wary of this news - the film industry has been known to severely screw up an awesome book. But I will say this: I was not disappointed! A buddy got his company to hook us up and booked a theater for a 7pm showing on Thursday, and it was awesome! Very well done, in my opinion.

But then yesterday, my older sister posted on facebook how disgusted she was by this story, and how it is crazy that this is what we call entertainment. And it got me thinking about all the stuff we've been learning in class about violence and being critical consumers and whatnot. And as much as I really, really enjoyed this, I must say I have to agree with her. How is it that a game of fighting to the death is what we all want to see? It's a little insane, and probably not that good for our young, impressionable children! In light of what I now know concerning media, I can definitely see her point of view.

So does that make me a bad person if I still love the film/books and cannot wait for the next one to come out?? I sure hope not. Because despite my better knowledge, I can guarantee I will be out there with the rest of the diehards on November 22 next year, when Catching Fire comes to theaters!!

1 comment:

  1. P.S. my sister (different one) showed me this - I think it's quite funny. :)
    The Hungry Games
    http://screen.yahoo.com/hungry-games-28507606.html?pb_list=23dce613-c500-43f0-9134-70e58b73187a

    ReplyDelete